There is nothing quite like grief. Grief is a powerful feeling to reckon with. Yoga and meditation can get you through times of intense grieving. Grief often comes on quickly, and it’s likely it won’t ever go away completely. But grief can be befriended eventually. Grief is a reminder of our unending love for someone or something near and dear to us. Yoga postures and breathing practices enable us to withstand grief and even embrace it.
Mindfulness Practice for Grieving Loss
1. Notice when your mind takes you backwards in time.
2. Let that very awareness be your teacher, reminding you to draw in a deep breath.
3. Hold the breath for a few brief moments.
4. Breathe in a little more breath.
5. Open the mouth and exhale.
6. Repeat this 3 x.
7. Place your hands over your heart and affirm these words to yourself:
“May I be kind to myself.”